Wasteland-Disco-Squad Edition No. 1: A Short Report

09 Jul 2012 | Ansgar Reul - Amsterdam, The Netherlands

The Wasteland Disco Squad’s 1st Edition visited the most western point of the northern edge of a former launchway – a structure that leads into Amsterdam’s IJ-canal, and has originally been used for launching and landing boats and ships, or for building and repairing them. Situated between the waters that fill the launchway on its southern, and by a canal on its northern side, the small area has the outlook of a veritable peninsula.

Ever since the Nederlandsche Dok en Scheepsbouw Maatschappij (NDSM) – the Dutch Dock and Shipbuilding Company – went out of business and abandoned the premises in the late 1970s, the launchway has been left to its own devices. Since a decade, however, the area undergoes an ever accelerating redevelopment process. In the waters of the IJ that border the launchway and the adjoining bank, a floating wave-breaker and a marina are in the process of being installed.

Since approximately two years, a bike and pedestrian path leads straight through the former launchway and cuts the top of the launchway off from the remainder. This ‘transection’ informs the idiosyncratic, cosy, almost ‘living room-like’ quality of the launchway’s two outmost points.

Due to deadly weather, the Wasteland Disco Squad’s 1st Edition had to be postponed – whereupon about 70% of the original program dropped out. The remaining 30%, however, made for an intimate, yet windy Sunday evening for the few enthusiasts that found their way to the North.

See also www.wastelanddiscosquad.nl/archive & www.facebook.com/Pirate.Cinema

Related Categories

Related Wastelands

Related Blog Entries by Site

Threefold Audio on Het Stenen Hoofd, Amsterdam

03 Oct 2013 | Alex Head

On Saturday 7 September, WTN joined the festivities arranged by Stichting Het Stenen Hoofd’s 25th anniversary on Het...

Brownfield Narratives Broadcast on W139's Red Light Radio

14 Sep 2013 | Alex Head

Samples from the audio research project Brownfield Narratives aired last week on W139's Red Light Radio show Five...

W139 Hosts Recreation Ground Part 3

10 Sep 2013 | Alex Head

W139 Gallery, Amsterdam Alex Head, David Bell and Ansgar Reul presented the third stage of the Recreation Ground...

Recreation Ground Amsterdam

30 Aug 2013 | David Bell

Following the success of Artist's Impression in Nottingham earlier in the year, and the realisation of the same...

Wasteland-Disco-Squad Edition No. 2: A Short Report

06 Aug 2012 | Ansgar Reul

The 2nd Edition of the Wasteland Disco Squad visited the Amsterdam Houthavens, the city’s  old timber harbour. Besides...

Wasteland Disco Squad - Edition No 2: Friday, 27th of July, 20h00

21 Jul 2012 | Ansgar Reul

Houthavens Amsterdam - Corner Tasmanstraat/Pontsteiger W139 is going outskirts again - join us for yet another...

Wasteland Disco Squad - Edition No 1: Sunday, 1st of July

15 Jun 2012 | Ansgar Reul

W139 is going outskirts. Temporarily, everything fixed will become mobile, everything static will be flexible. Join us...

Monumental Status?

25 Oct 2011 | Khadija Bellahcen

A friend informed me that the Stenen Hoofd is originally part of the Graansilo (Grain Silo). The silo is an...

Sound recording Stenen Hoofd

25 Oct 2011 | Khadija Bellahcen

http://soundcloud.com/khadi-ja/sound-recording-stenen-hoofd This was recorded on the 14th of october 2011. We walked...

Wastelands in Amsterdam

30 Jul 2011 |

An artist-friend coming from Geneva, Christophe Meierhans, was living in Amsterdam for a while throughout his studies....

a first reconnaissance

24 Jun 2011 | Khadija Bellahcen

In our search for wastelands in Amsterdam, we’ve so far encountered lands that are mostly fenced and inaccessible,...