The Keigland Brache is located at a quiet intersection of Berlin-Schöneberg. Here, at the more residential end of Kurfürstendamn the site is neighboured by a large privately guarded housing complex, several schools for young people/infants and other amenities. The site is almost impossible to look into due the prevalence of tall birch trees.
Much of the research into this site has been conducted by nomadic curatorial group Neue Berliner Räume http://neueberlinerraeume.de/
Kielganstraße 3 10783 Berlin, Berlin, Deutschland
There has been some discussion within the local council as to what might benefit the local area from the sites development: www.tiergarten-sued.de/Wie-kann-die-Kurfuerstenstrasse-aufgewertet-werden.1352.0.html
In the Mid 19th Century George Kielgan embarked on a development project for Berlin’s emerging wealthy. During this period the Kielgan Brache was purchased by businessman Julius Rüttigers. A building was then commissioned by August Orth, architect of the original Gorlizter Bahnhof. This building was at one time considered by Lithuania as a site for its embassy. Since its destruction during WWII the site has been used as a second hand car sales ‘room’.
Discussion around the site by the local council reflects the concerns that the site is now used by prostitutes and, perhaps, for casual sex. There are also signs that the site is used as a place for the homeless.
Temporary shelter, sex