The site of about 200 square meters is located at the most central and highly political address in Berlin – Schloßplatz 1. The piece of land is located three meters below ground level of the palace square (Schloßplatz), where the German Parliament (Bundestag) decided in 2002 to demolish the GDR Palace of the Republic (Palast der Republik), which was located on the site (upper level) to rebuild the Prussian palace of the last German emperor of the Hohenzollern-Dynasty Kaiser Wilhelm II. This decision has a historical perspective, since it was the GDR, which demolished the highly damaged palace in 1950 and substituted that symbol of monarchy with the seat of the GDR’s people’s chamber (Volkskammer) in 1973. Until 2008, the Palace of the Republic was accessible to the public and was used for several exhibitions and events – most of them forms of protest against this act of rewriting history. Since 2009, the whole area has been a void waiting for the palace to be rebuilt as a private-public partnership, which is planned to take from 2013 till 2017.
An intereresting misunderstanding was discovered while researching the ownership of this piece of land: the civil servant service offered to lease it, because it was mistakenly registered as a garden belonging to the Wasser- und Schifffahrtsverwaltung des Bundes, to be leased for recreation. It never happened that the lease was given, because of the political dimension of the site, but the utopian idea stayed in mind, to have a garden in front of a palace. Stairs lead down to the rivershore of the Spree with a big tree in the middle. A variety of people use it already for fishing, grilling, relaxing – it seems like forgotten spot in the big plans for the city.
Schloßplatz 1, Berlin, Germany
[gallery include="1862, 1861, 1860"]
The site can be Accessed by stairs that lead down to the rivershore.
A variety of people use it already for fishing, grilling, relaxing – it seems like forgotten spot in the big plans for the city.